Monday, October 29, 2012

Pinterest Project #3 - Cleaning

Cleaning the washing machine.

Boy what a task it was!

But so worth it.

We got our washer and dryer from a foreclosed house 2 and a half years ago, which had been sitting in Adam's parents' garage since then until we moved into our house recently.  The washer was a little yucky and smelled weird.  So after finding these pins and websites I set out to clean it:

Somewhat Simple - How to Clean Your Washing Machine
One Good Thing by Jillee - How to Clean Your (Top Loader) Washing Machine

I did kind of a mix between these two references.  I did 2 cups of each vinegar and bleach (separately!!) instead of 2 quarts or whatever crazy amount the other suggests, and did vinegar first and then bleach.  I used lots of q-tips for the nooks and crannies like one of them suggests but had to use some toothpicks as well (it was that bad).  I also did what one says about taking off the liquid bleach dispenser and also the "filter" or fabric softener thing on the top of the agitator and soaked them in half water, half vinegar.  It got them nice and clean!  I could only clean half of the top of the tub because there is a loose spring at the bottom of the washer we need to fix (next on the list) so the tub isn't centered but I did what I could and it is sooooooooooooo much better!  It doesn't stink a whole lot (there's probably more cleaning that needs to be done in other areas I can't get to yet... eek) and I just feel a lot better about washing my clothes in it now that I know it's clean.  Sorry, no pictures.  I wanted to spare you the nastiness.  And I was a little embarrassed.  Although it wasn't my mess.  Suffice it to say that it looks clean now and I am happy about it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!