Monday, April 15, 2013

Update on Eli: CT Scan - It's Confirmed

The plastic surgeon called last week to tell us that the CT scan results confirmed what he had thought -- that that part of Eli's skull has prematurely fused (read the details here).  Which means he's really having surgery this summer.  A part of me hoped and thought maybe he just wouldn't end up needing it after-all...  But he does.

We could opt to not have the surgery.  But that would be silly.  The benefits outweigh the negatives.  If he didn't get the surgery then he may face a number of things throughout his lifetime, including deformities in his head that could severely effect his appearance, his brain, and even his jaw.  These doctors are highly skilled and highly trained to be so.  I trust my son in their hands.  And I trust my son and the doctors in the hands of the Savior.

The next steps are for us to meet the [very busy] neurosurgeon and see an opthamologist (to make sure there isn't any abnormal pressure on Eli's eyes).  We'll be meeting with the plastic surgeon again about a month prior to the surgery, which is when we will work out a time to schedule that.  I'm thinking middle to end of June ish.

Is this hard to deal with?  Sure it is.  Can we handle it?  Yes.  How?  Because there is hope in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  This life on Earth is not the end of our lives; We've been sealed together as a family by God's power on earth, which means we will still be a family in heaven; Christ broke the bands of death and was resurrected so we could live again as resurrected immortal beings in eternal happiness and peace, with our family!  How can I be sad about that??

Our lives here are short, but we of course don't wish for them or those of those we love to be any shorter.  So I take it one day at a time and enjoy every second I have with each person I dearly love.  And Eli is definitely at the top of that list!




Eli is 3 and 1/2 months old!  Time flies soo fast.  I love him so much!

4 comments:

  1. Kami,

    That was so beautifully written! You and Adam (and Eli) are so strong and I know that the outcome of this trying time for you all, will only be the best with tons of smiles! :)

    We sure love you guys and have you all in our thoughts and prayers!

    Miss you!
    Jaime, Duane and boys

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing. it is beautifully written and you will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Eli has Unicoronal Craniosynostosis, but my cousin's daughter had Sagittal Craniosynostosis,(and I'm not sure if they are the same thing) but she blogged about her experience here: http://sagittalcraniosynostosis.blogspot.com/
    Even if its not the same thing, I thought it might help to hear about how their experience went, since they are probably similar. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kami- I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how tons of doctor visits with ur newborn feels....please let me know if u need anything. Even if u just really need some cookies. :)just call!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!