Thursday, April 18, 2013

Book of Mormon 6-Month Reading Challenge (and Chart)

We had stake conference this last weekend (for church) and our stake president challenged us to read the entire Book of Mormon before the next stake conference, in 6 months.  Adam and I decided to act on this challenge and made it our personal goals to read it again in this time-frame.  Adam chose to read by verses, so he's reading 36 verses a day.  I don't like being left hanging in the middle of a chapter so I decided to do my study by chapter, which is about 1.5 chapters a day.  But like I said I don't want to be reading half chapters, and I know there are some REALLY short chapters and a couple REALLY long chapters... and I wanted to track my progress to help keep me on track, so I made a reading chart.  I spent a couple hours on it total.  I go kinda crazy planning things sometimes.  But I'm pretty happy with the result (so far...)!  It's only been 3 days.  Hopefully this will help me stay on track and keep up with it!  I also wanted to know how many verses were in each chapter, and I couldn't find anything online, so I did it by going through every chapter...  So there's that.  But then I was able to break up the reading schedule better.  Man, I'm crazy sometimes!

I'm grateful for this challenge to read the Book of Mormon within the next 6 months.  This true book strengthens my relationship with God and helps me feel the Spirit more throughout my day and grows my spiritual knowledge and helps me be more in line with the Savior's teachings, so I can be a better person and strengthen my family.  And I'm finding already that this challenge is helping me be a better study-er.  I've been struggling with being consistent with my scripture study.  I know I need to be better, and I want to be better, but the implementation is always the hard part for some reason.  I know my spirituality can be better improved if I took the time to study more often, and I really need it (don't we all?).  I know this challenge and goal is going to help me develop better and more consistent habits when it comes to scripture study.  I can feel it already!  The Book of Mormon really is true, compliments the Bible, and was written way back then for us, now.  How awesome is that?  Why wouldn't we want to read and study it??  I know I do!

Want to join me?  Only 3 days to catch up on.  That's not too bad!



7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Excel reading chart. It was very handy!

    My family is starting a 6-month Book of Mormon reading program, and this is exactly what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for and it's very well planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kami,

    Thank you for your post and for making it easier for all of us to track and take on the 6 month challenge to read the Book of Mormon. I clicked on your link and it did not download. If you have a moment, would you mind sending it to me at thaynegang@gmail.com?
    Thank you so much!
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, I'm sorry the link didn't work for you! I just clicked on it and it worked for me, so I'm not sure what happened. I will gladly email it to you. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this! I'll be using it with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this! I'll be using it with my family!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!