Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Stress Relief?

A lot of people say that exercise, and lots specifically say running, is what helps them de-stress.  I'm not sure if this particular practice is a stress-reliever or stress-inducer for me.  I guess I'm just not very good at pushing myself through pain.  Soccer practices were never my favorite, all that running and having to be faster than others or a specific time.  Killed me!  I hated it.  Yeah it made/makes me be more in shape, and yeah I probably feel good afterwards, but I just have a really hard time being in the middle of it.  Also, exercise - I guess I'm not so fantastic at getting myself motivated to do it.  I'm trying to be better, and I'm getting there.  But mornings are probably the worst.  And ironically my ideal time to work out (and could be a whole other post discussing that).  If I can stay inside and work out it's usually better.  But trying to get me to get up early and go outside and run?  I can't say that it's easy.  Our new apartment complex has a nice work out facility AND a tennis court AND a racquetball court, and I am determined to do better!  Once we get there.

I think my personal stress relief is sleep.  If you know me at all, you probably know that I enjoy my sleep.  I like the mornings but don't really see much of them.  I'm working on that too.  Baby steps.  So, sleep = stress relief?  I don't know if that really is true, but if I didn't get much sleep the previous night and I find myself alone in my quiet apartment in the middle of the day, the couch is very inviting, and I will probably give in.  This also could be a-whole-nother subject...  I don't pop awake when it's morning-time (I'm not sure many people do? Hopefully I'm not alone in this...) but I also don't have great will power to make myself awake.  My warm and comfy bed is oh so VERY inviting.  It doesn't help that Adam covers the window with a thick blanket, which = no sunlight, and likes all sorts of fans blowing making it chilly up in here.  But on the other hand, if I sleep too much I'm quite susceptible to feeling guilty for doing so.  Which could = some stress.  Hmm.

I really need to learn to lead a stress-free life.  It makes life more enjoyable for me and everyone else around me, and I also worry about my ulcerative colitis acting up when I'm pregnant.  Stress = flare ups.  Example: planning a wedding.  I think I do pretty okay most of the time, but like I just mentioned, I tend to, I guess you could call it stress, when I sleep in and skip my shower to avoid taking another hour or more to get ready and then add a half hour to that to get to work.  I'm lucky though to have a loving boss who doesn't mind what hours I come in to work as long as I get my work done.  She's a good mom, I mean boss.  :D  I just don't want to put any future babies in any sort of harm with any sort of medication I may have to take if I have a flare up while pregnant or breast feeding.

So here's to being stress-free!  Wish me luck on finding my relief-outlet.  Thanks in advance.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!