Tuesday, November 7, 2017

I will make weak things become strong unto you

How does your appearance make you feel?

Does it make you feel good when you look nice?

I think we all can feel a little better when we look nice. I do. But then a series of events caused a medical condition that over the course of several months left me with large ugly scars on both my shins.

They aren't pretty. But they do look better now than they did 3 years ago, that's for sure.

But even still, I choose not to let it stop me. I don't hide because something about me is different. I don't let the flaws on my legs stop me from living my life.

I shouldn't let any of my flaws stop me or create a negative view of myself. Scars don't mean someone is a bad person. It means we are living life and learning.

I have lots of other flaws too, ones that I recognize and am trying to work through, but might not be as easily seen. We all have things we struggle with. Part of learning compassion is learning that everyone has something that isn't quite strong yet.
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)
I don’t understand fully how a weakness could be made into a strength. But the Lord says it can be done, so I believe Him, and I'm working on understanding how that works.

I heard on a podcast recently weaknesses being described in a way I hadn't thought about before:
"Our weaknesses are only our strengths overused." (Jody Moore)
Isn't that eye opening? I also love the work of Carol Tuttle and I believe her when she talks about how our weaknesses are actually our strengths. I am a perfectionist. No, I am thorough! I am lazy. No, I have a relaxed nature! I always put my foot in my mouth. No, I am capable of speaking up.

When we view ourselves in a positive light, it is beautiful and freeing.

I believe growth comes from love. Love yourself and allow yourself to grow. God loves us and gently encourages us to be better, not the opposite.

I'm grateful for my hope in Christ and the reality of His resurrection, which opened the way for the rest of us to gain this same resurrection, the unifying and perfecting of our body and spirit for the rest of eternity, flawless and good.

Our flaws, imperfections, weaknesses don't have to define us. We can still dance with ugly scars on our legs. We can still do our work on the earth though we may stumble and sometimes fall. Life is learning how to get back up again and keep trying. With Christ we can, and heal in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!